Fresh, crunchy, salty, sweet, spicy: this Bhan Mi bowl has all the flavors and textures of your favorite Vietnamese sandwich in delicious rice bowl form! This recipe uses a quick pickling technique that really takes the bowl up a notch! Let’s get started…
Bahn Mi Rice Bowl
Della Light Brown Basmati Rice
Pickled Red Onion (see below for quick pickle recipe)
Marinated Pork, pan fried and sliced (soy sauce+ garlic+ginger)
Quick Pickle Recipe:
This recipe makes pickling really easy and fast and can be used for just about any vegetable.
1 C Water
1 C White Vinegar
2 tsp Salt
1 T Sugar
Add all the ingredients above to a bowl, stir, allow salt and sugar to dissolve. Pour liquid into the jar with chopped vegetables (for this recipe I sliced red onion, and chopped matchstick carrots.) Add a pinch of any additional spices if desired (red pepper flakes, chopped garlic, mustard seeds, whole peppercorns). Seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
1. The night before: quick pickle your red onions and carrots and refrigerate overnight, see recipe above
2. Cook Della Light Brown Basmati rice as directed.
3. Grill or pan fry pork for about 5 min per side while rice is cooking.
4. Next chop your veggies, radish, cucumber and jalapeno.
5. Next create your rice bowl– The base of the bowl is Yoga Light Brown Organic Rice. Next, add pickled carrots and onions, radish, cucumber, jalapeno and top with pork. Garnish with sriracha sauce and some chopped cilantro. It’s a Bahn Mi sandwich in a bowl!