We’ve been lucky to have some warmer days lately here in Colorado, but as a native I know we’re not out of winter yet! On those days when it’s chilly outside I find myself gravitating towards heat in the kitchen. It’s a lot easier to feel cozy with a big bowl of full of something spicy, just like this dish. The only downside to big flavors is that it can sometimes mean even bigger messes. That’s why I was so excited to find the one-pan inspiration for this recipe. I added lots of veggies and upped the Cajun flavor with shrimp. It’s quick and easy to make and clean up is a snap. All the more time to curl up with a blanket and wait for spring!
One Pan Blackened Cajun Chicken and Shrimp
2 Tbs avocado oil
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1/2 lb)
½ lb shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1 cup Della’s Basmati and Quinoa Rice blend
½ red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
½ small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatos
1.5 cups chicken or beef broth
2 T Cajun seasoning (store bought or recipe below)
1 avocado, sliced
For Cajun seasoning:
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet heat 1Tbs avocado oil (or olive oil) over medium heat. Rub chicken and shrimp in half of the Cajun seasoning. When pan is hot add chicken. Cook until both sides are well browned. Remove and set aside on a plate for later. Repeat with shrimp. Cover plate with tin foil to keep warm.
- In the same pan (we want that left over flavor!) add the remaining Tbs of avocado oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until onion is just translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, Della’s Basmati and Quinoa rice blend and remaining Cajun seasoning to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Nestle the chicken and shrimp into the rice mixture, cover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until internal thermometer on chicken reads 165 degrees.
- Top with freshly topped parsley and avocado.