The end of the summer is always so bittersweet. Luckily it’s also a time when some of my favorite fruits and vegetables are at their peak. I always look forward to August because I have bounty of summer vegetables to enjoy. Corn is by far one of the most underrated of the bunch. It is so sweet and full of flavor at this time of year. For this recipe, I wanted to give corn the spotlight for once and created this delicious end-of-the-summer Wild Rice Corn Chowder centered around one of my favorite vegetables. Yum!
I don’t make a lot of soups in the summer. Hot soup on a hot summer day just doesn’t make a lot of sense. But as the days get shorter, and the rainy afternoons become more regular here in Tennessee, I start to crave something cozy. Enter this soup! It is full of roughly chopped vegetables, earthy wild rice, fresh sweet corn, and BACON (don’t forget the bacon!). It’s creamy, nutty, salty, and delicious!
Slow Cooker Summer Corn Chowder | Yields 8 Servings
½ C Della Basmati & Wild Rice, cook as directed
2 C of fresh corn, cooked and cut off the cob (about 3 ears, you may also sub frozen or canned corn)
3-4 medium red potatoes, cubed into bite-size pieces
5-6 slices of bacon, cooked and diced
½ C carrots, diced
1 Medium yellow onion, diced
4 gloves of garlic, diced
3 Ribs of Celery, diced
5 C Chicken Stock
Salt + Pepper, to taste
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ C heavy cream, or half and half
Garnish: chives, shredded cheddar cheese
1. If you are using fresh corn– Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the husk, brush with butter and wrap in foil, repeat with all 3 ears. Place the corn in the center rack and cook for about 40 min.
2. While the corn is cooking, chop the vegetables, and fry the bacon. Allow for the bacon to cool, chop, place in a container and refrigerate (it will be added in later)
3. Place all the vegetables– potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, and cooked corn, in the crock pot. Add the chicken broth. Season with salt & pepper and paprika.
4. Cook on low for 7-8 hours
5. In the last 30 min–Add the cooked Della rice, bacon, and cream to the crock pot. Stir to incorporate. Cook until warmed through. Ladle into a bowl and top with additional bacon bits, cheddar cheese, chives, and freshly cracked pepper. YUM!