I finally got on the meal prep train and I don’t think I’ll ever look back. I have designated Sunday as my meal prep day, since I also do my grocery shopping then, and it’s easiest for me to just do it all at once. I find that setting up a routine and folding it into your schedule is the best way to ensure you will actually do it. It takes a little but of time up front (for me about 2 hrs on Sun) but saves so much time (and money!) during the week! I actually look forward to my work lunches now and am not tempted to eat out, or make unhealthy choices. I love being able to just grab my lunch from the fridge and go! Once you get used to committing yourself to a couple hours a week you will see that it makes a world of difference. For containers, I prefer glass, and found these on Amazon, but there are lots of options out there.
When it comes to recipes I have found that rice is one of my favorite bases to use because it’s so easy to make a big batch and it holds up throughout the week. These burrito bowls are the best because they are SO easy and so delicious! I use Della light brown basmati because it has a mild flavor and gives me the protein an fiber I am looking for in my daily diet. It’s my go-to rice for most of my recipes. My personal tip for meal prepping is to turn on some good tunes, pour yourself a glass of wine, and make it fun! I promise, the time will go by quicker than you think and you’ll find yourself actually looking forward to it!
Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
Makes about 4 Servings
2 Cups Yoga Long Grain Brown Rice
Chicken, cooked and shredded
1/2 Red Pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 Yellow Pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 Orange Pepper, sliced into thin strips
½ Yellow, sliced into thin strips
Black Beans, drained and rinsed
Frozen Corn, rinsed
Salsa, to taste
- Cook rice as directed, in rice cooker, or stove top
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, heat, add chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste and other desired seasonings. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Set aside. Allow to cool.
- In the same skillet, sauté peppers, garlic, onions until crisp-tender, add more oil if needed, remove from skillet, and set aside.
- Shred chicken. Drain and rinse black beans. Rinse corn
- Arrange bowls: Distribute rice evenly between 4 microwave safe containers, then chicken, beans, peppers & onions, corn, beans, and salsa. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat and enjoy!
Note: These bowls will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days *