This authentic Italian mushroom risotto is elegant enough for a romantic night in or a dinner party gathering with friends. As a self-taught home cook, I love making risotto because it one of those meals that you can make time and time again in so many different ways. Once you have the base recipe down you can add whatever vegetables or herbs you like. For this recipe I kept it classic and simple by adding beautiful cremini and baby portabella mushrooms and delicious caramelized onions. This rich meal is best enjoyed with a chilled glass of white wine!
- 24 ounces mushrooms (white, cremini, baby portabella or a mixture)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 cup Della’s arborio rice
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated romano cheese
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Combine with garlic and rosemary with the mushrooms. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, spreading the mixture out, and roast for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the broth and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed. Heat the remaining oil (1/2 tablespoon) in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the shallot, about 1 minute. Add the rice, stirring to coat with oil, and cook about 2 minutes. When the rice begins to take on a light golden color, pour in the wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.
4. Add half of broth and water mixture to the rice a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms and any accumulated juices. Add the remaining broth mixture to the rice a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 10 minutes more.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and romano. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.