Spring weather is always a little unpredictable. Some days are a taste of summer and others remind us that winter is still lingering! For the latter we’ve whipped up one of our favorite comfort food recipes to date. A healthy makeover of a stick-to-your-ribs comfort classic, this Chicken Pot Pie rice is simply the best! To cut down on time we went semi-homemade with this recipe and used puff pastry for the pie dough and frozen mixed veggies. Our recipes are always adaptable so if you want to throw in some fresh, in season, Spring vegetables, go for it! We love seeing our recipes creating a stir in your kitchen! Hashtag #CreatAStir and tag us at @DellaRice on social! On to the recipe…
Chicken Pot Pie Rice Bake
2 C Yoga Light Brown Organic Brown Rice, Cooked as directed
2-3 Chicken Breasts, poached and shredded (or can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken)
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Bag of Frozen Vegetable Medley (Peas, carrots, corn and beans)
3 Cups Chicken Stock
¼ Cup Flour
¼ Cup Half & Half
1 Puff Pastry
- Cook the Della Light BrownBasmati Rice, as directed.
- Poach the chicken (If using rotisserie chicken skip this step): In a large stock pot, place the chicken breasts in the bottom making sure they don’t overlap. Pour chicken stock or water over the chicken, adding just enough so it covers them plus a bit of room. Season with salt and pepper. Bring water to a boil. Once it is at a boil for a couple minutes, turn heat to low and cover. Simmer covered for about 8 min. Then turn off the burner and allow the chicken continue to cook in the hot liquid for 15-20 min or until chicken is cooked through. Keep covered. Once it is done remove it from the pot and cool completely. Once cooled, shred chicken.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion. Cook until the onion starts to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the vegetable medley and cook for another 3-4 min.
- Stir in the chicken and then sprinkle the flour over the top and stir it until it’s all combined with the vegetables. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth and stir it around and let it cook and thicken.
- Add the half-and-half or cream, then stir the mixture and let it bubble up and thicken, about 3 minutes. Add the cooked rice. (you may not need all of it!)
- Pour the filling into a large baking dish. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and lay it over the top of the dish. Press the dough so that the edges stick to the outside of the pan. Use a knife to cut little vents.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is deep golden brown and the filling is bubbly.