Turmeric Lemon & Herb Basmati Rice with Sriracha Honey Salmon: A Healthy Start to 2018 by ‘Stirmaker’ ChristinePosted by Christine Souder | Della Rice Stir Recipes, Della Stirmakers | No Comments
A new year, a new you. Right?! I always look forward to the new year because it gives me a chance to reflect, set goals, and start fresh. I’m not a big dieter, but I do like to keep my health in check and educate myself on what I put into my body. After a month of baked goods, indulgences, and heavy comfort food, I start to actually crave more whole foods and vegetables right about now. Enter this recipe. It will send you into 2018 feeling am-az-ing. With the addition of Omega-3 packed salmon and turmeric-flavored rice, it is quite the power combination. Bonus: it tastes delicious.
Turmeric is one of my all-time favorite spices. It has SO many health benefits. It’s — anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, brain boosting, and a powerful antioxidant…just to name a few. When making the turmeric rice I chose to use Della’s Basmati Rice with Lemon Zest & Herbs as the base. This zesty rice is a perfect compliment to earthy turmeric. It’s a punch of flavor and nutrients.
1 C Della Basmati Lemon Zest & Herbs
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 C chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 tbsp turmeric
1 bay leaf
1. If using a stovetop, add 1 tbsp olive oil or butter to a sauce pan on medium low heat, add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 min. Rice, turmeric, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and turn heat down to low. Cover and cook for about 20 min. Fluff and serve
2. If using a rice cooker, add all of the above ingredients to your rice cooker, (use your rice cooker measurements for correct liquid to rice ratio). Press the white rice button. Cook until the cycle is complete. Fluff and serve.
Honey Sriracha Salmon
4 salmon filets
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sriracha
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp water
olive oil or sesame oil for frying
1. Make the marinade: combine soy sauce, honey, sriracha, garlic, and water in a jar or bowl. Whisk until full incorporated.
2. In a casserole dish, add salmon filets. Pour over marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hr, up to 24 hrs.
3. Over medium heat add 1 tbsp of preferred oil. Once warm, add the salmon to the pan. Fry about 6 min per side or until cooked through. Add additional marinade while cooking and brush over the salmon.
4. Enjoy with turmeric rice (recipe above)