One pot meals are my all time favorite especially during busy weekdays when making dinner can feel like a chore. Bonus: doing the dishes is a breeze! This meal comes together in less than 20 min y’all. If you do a little meal prep ahead of time and make the rice and shred the chicken a day or two before, it’s even faster. I’m so on board with that. This recipe uses a trusty cast iron skillet which is a Southern kitchen staple. You pan fry your veggies on the stove, mix it all together, sprinkle on some cheese and pop that same pan in the oven. I love this recipe because you can truly add or subtract your favorite combinations. Want more veggies? Add some fresh bell peppers, tomatoes, or corn to the mix. Not a meat eater? Skip the chicken all together. The the Della Basmati & Quinoa makes it feel a little healthier than your average casserole, even though this meal is actually quite indulgent. I’d definitely file it under the comfort food category. There is nothing better than a warm one-pot meal on a crisp autumn day. I will be making this one all season long!
Skillet Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake | Serves 6-8
2 Cups Della Basmati & Quinoa, cooked
Chicken, cooked and shredded
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (can also make your own)
1-2 C shredded Mexican blend cheese
Optional toppings: Green onions, sour cream, limes, jalapeno slices, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro
- Cook Della rice as directed, in rice cooker, or stove top
- Cook & shred chicken. Drain and rinse black beans. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add olive oil, heat, add onions and garlic. Cook about 2-3 min. Add black beans, green chilies, cooked rice & quinoa, shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, Add salt and pepper to taste and chili powder and cumin seasoning. Stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the same skillet in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. (about 15-20 min)
- Serve hot with desired toppings: Green onions, sour cream, limes, jalapeno slices, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro