“I am a first generation born Vietnamese American southern girl from New Orleans, Louisiana who lives and breathes for cooking and food. I am classically French trained as a chef and a soon-to-be Registered Dietitian currently living on the Southern Jersey Shores of Cape May with my husband and 14 month old son. I love to cook all types of cuisines, especially Asian fusion, and create healthy spins on it. What I love most about cooking is being able to nourish those near and dear to my heart with a meal created from scratch and with love.”
Try something exotic and refreshing for dinner tonight!
When the summer heat is blasting outside, the last thing you want to do is cook a hot meal or turn on your oven. Salads are often craved during these hot summer months in my household and this flavorful Thai turkey larb lettuce cups are the perfect meal. Larb is a meat-based salad that embodies the spicy, sour, sweet, and powerful flavors of many Thai dishes. This one is loaded with aromatic herbs such as cilantro and mint along with a surprising toasted kick from toasted rice powder. My favorite way to eat this meal is to use the lettuce as a spoon to scoop up the larb. It’s such a fun and interactive way to enjoy a refreshing summer meal.
Thai Turkey Larb Lettuce Cups with Della basmati rice with caramelized onion
by Diana Ngo
2 tablespoons avocado oil or vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 limes (or lemons), juiced
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 Thai chili, minced
2 small shallots, thinly sliced
1 green onion, chopped
Handful of cilantro, minced
Handful of mint, chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon toasted rice powder (see note)
1 cup Della Basmati Rice with caramelized onion, cooked as directed
1 large head of romaine lettuce, leaves separated
1. In a large sauté pan over high heat, add cooking oil. Once oil is heated, add turkey and cook.
- Add brown sugar and cook along with the turkey until turkey is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Set cooked turkey aside and prepare the dressing.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together lime juice, fish sauce, chili and shallots.
- Pour the dressing ingredients into the pan with the cooked turkey. Add the herbs, tomatoes, and toasted rice powder.
- Taste the turkey mixture and adjust seasonings as desired.
- To eat: scoop a little bit of rice onto lettuce leaf and add turkey larb over the top. Enjoy!
Toasted rice powder can be found at your local Asian grocery store. If you’re not able to find this item, you can easily make it.
You will need:
2 tablespoons Della Jasmine rice, uncooked
Spice grinder or mortar and pestle
- In a small dry sauté pan over high heat, add Della jasmine rice.
- Start toasting the rice; reduce heat to medium high to prevent rice kernels from burning.
- Keep the pan constantly moving or use a wooden spoon to help keep the rice kernels moving.
- Toasting will take about 3-4 minutes for the rice to turn golden brown.
- Set toasted rice aside and allow cooling completely.
- Once cooled, grind into a fine powder.